Re: [opensuse] reiserfs - No space left on device
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:51:38 -0400
Dave Howorth wrote:
Ken Schneider wrote:
Carlos E. R. pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
The Tuesday 2008-03-11 at 13:48 -0000, Dave Howorth wrote:

I just started getting this message "No space left on device" although
df indicates there is about 40 GB free on the device. It's a reiser file
system on a Suse 10.3 system (the file system was originally created
under 9.2 if that matters). Does anybody know what this means?
40GB of how much? what's the total size of the partition?
What is the total size of the files you were trying to gzip? It has to
be less then the amount of free space.

I don't see how that can be correct. I was running a gzip -r and it had
been happily running for some hours and had compressed a lot of files.
Now if I just try to compress the next file by itself, which is only a
few kB, it objects.

Sounds like filesystem corruption... like the free-list got lost.