Re: [opensuse] reiserfs - No space left on device
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:37:42 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2008-03-11 at 16:37 -0000, Dave Howorth wrote:

You certainly should update, and not only because of this problem.

I started to run 'Online Update' in YaST, to find out what the changes
are, but it's just hanging :( It puts up a window with three buttons
and empty panels and an hourglass cursor and just stays like that. It
doesn't refresh the window if it gets covered and doesn't go away when I
close the window. Is this a known problem?

Not that I know. However... if the disk with the problem is the one used for the system... you won't be able to update.

'Software Management' works OK but slowly as usual. But I'm confused by
the Change Log it shows me. It starts like this:

Dunno.

So at the moment I don't know how to see the list of changes so I can
check that this kernel does contain a fix for this problem. I also tried
searching bugzilla but didn't see anything.

I think there have been several kernel updates since the one you have.

(5) I remember some recent posts about how to keep the previous kernel
when updating but can't immediately find it. Can anybody point me to a
how-to?

No howto that I know of. The procedure is simple, if tedious.

1) Manually download all related kernel rpms you have installed and need
to upgrade - don't use yast.

You can get the installed list like this:

cer@nimrodel:~> rpm -q -a | grep kernel
kernel-source-2.6.22.17-0.1
kernel-default-2.6.22.17-0.1
linux-kernel-headers-2.6.22-19
nfs-kernel-server-1.1.0-8 <== no
kernel-docs-2.6.22.5-31
kernel-syms-2.6.22.17-0.1

When I do that I get:

# rpm -q -a | grep kernel
kernel-default-2.6.22.5-31
nfs-kernel-server-1.1.0-8

Then you only need to get kernel-default-2.6.22.17-0.1

Or you can see in yast the list of what it wants to install and copy it.

2) Install manually all of them using "rpm -i list_of_kernel_rpms".

You mean to manually download the new versions of the packages that rpm
-q -a listed? Is it OK to install a kernel when there's already one
installed? I don't know much about this stuff :(

Yep, you can install two kernels. It is yast who doesn't, but manually, yes, you can.

3) Review the /boot/grub/menu.lst to check that it is correct before
rebooting.

So I need to back that up manually first. Is there anything else like that?

Not that I remember. The rpm command runs a install script that should add an entry for the new kernel, similar to the one you already have, maintaining the old one. That's what you should review, that indeed it did that, and that the files it refers to are really there, in /boot.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.