Re: [opensuse] FTP net install howto
  • From: Bjørn Lie <bjorn.lie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:41:00 +0100

tir, 11.03.2008 kl. 12.42 -0400, skrev Mark Misulich:
Bjørn Lie wrote:
man, 10.03.2008 kl. 20.29 -0400, skrev Mark Misulich:
snip

Hi Bjorn,
thanks for your input. I have to say that I really don't know how to
respond to your comments other than to say that it worked. If you can
tell me why it shouldn't work perhaps I can edit the howto, but these
are the steps that I took. Please explain your comments further.

Thanks,
Mark

The steps you have outlined are not wrong themselves, they are perfectly
valid in case the dns doesn't work and one has to put in the ip address
manually.

Now the reason for your install to have worked using that is the
serverip I can only guess, I suspect the suse installer defaulted to
using download.opensuse.org/right-path-to-installfolder/ by itself.

What I pointet out is that most of the time it's not needed as it should
be put in automagically, but it's possible I remember wrong.

the right ip address if the mirror you used is 64.50.236.216

192.168.0.1 is NOT a valid public ip. Read about it here
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/routers/g/192_168_0_1_def.htm
or google the ip if you want (or better yet, put in that address in your
firefox or whatever browser you prefer)

try using ping suse.mirrors.tds.net and see if you do not get a
different result than you did using dig

Bjørn