Re: [opensuse] FTP net install howto
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:16:09 -0400
Bjørn Lie wrote:
man, 10.03.2008 kl. 20.29 -0400, skrev Mark Misulich:
Hi,
I wrote a howto for Suse FTP net installation with screenshots to make it more understandable. How do I submit it to Opensuse community so that others may use it?

Regards,
Mark

Your guide is not that good I'm afraid.
The biggest error in it is that you write that the mirror you used has
an IP adr 192.168.0.1 :)
If this adress worked for you the install program (or your router) must
contain some great magic

And normally putting in the IP is not needed. 99% of the time selecting
http. Putting download.opensuse.org as server (think this is done auto
now) and as folder distribution/10.3/repo/oss (afir this is also done
auto).

But putting up screenshots is a good idea. No doubt.

Bjørn

Hi Bjorn,
I have gone over what you have written. In the ftp installation, one may enter the text address of the server, in my example suse.mirrors.tds.net and hit enter and it will accept the address. Thanks for pointing that out to me, the wiki that I used had me find the numeric IP address and input it. I will change that on the howto. However, it doesn't provide any address automatically.

I tried to do the steps for an HTTP install, and I had to enter the address and directory that you provided. Nothing came up automatically. Thanks for pointing out this information, now I know how to do an http installation. I will probably do a wiki for http installation with screenshots as well, and post it on the website.