Re: [opensuse] reiserfs - No space left on device
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:37:32 +0000
Carlos E. R. wrote:
(4) Am I going to regret updating to 2.6.22.17-0.1 for any other reason?

You certainly should update, and not only because of this problem.

I started to run 'Online Update' in YaST, to find out what the changes
are, but it's just hanging :( It puts up a window with three buttons
and empty panels and an hourglass cursor and just stays like that. It
doesn't refresh the window if it gets covered and doesn't go away when I
close the window. Is this a known problem?

'Software Management' works OK but slowly as usual. But I'm confused by
the Change Log it shows me. It starts like this:

kernel-default-2.6.22.17-0.1 - The Standard Kernel for both Uniprocessor
and Multiprocessor Systems

2007-09-22T13:00:00 BST

- teheo@xxxxxxx

Patch name was wrong. Rename patch.
- patches.drivers/libata-pata_via-kill-SATA_PATA_SHARING: Delete.
- patches.drivers/libata-sata_via-kill-SATA_PATA_SHARING:
sata_via: kill SATA_PATA_SHARING register handling (309069,
254158).

which claims to be describing the new kernel but the first patch (which
is the latest) seems to be in the time frame of the old kernel?

So at the moment I don't know how to see the list of changes so I can
check that this kernel does contain a fix for this problem. I also tried
searching bugzilla but didn't see anything.

(5) I remember some recent posts about how to keep the previous kernel
when updating but can't immediately find it. Can anybody point me to a
how-to?

No howto that I know of. The procedure is simple, if tedious.

1) Manually download all related kernel rpms you have installed and need
to upgrade - don't use yast.

You can get the installed list like this:

cer@nimrodel:~> rpm -q -a | grep kernel
kernel-source-2.6.22.17-0.1
kernel-default-2.6.22.17-0.1
linux-kernel-headers-2.6.22-19
nfs-kernel-server-1.1.0-8 <== no
kernel-docs-2.6.22.5-31
kernel-syms-2.6.22.17-0.1

When I do that I get:

# rpm -q -a | grep kernel
kernel-default-2.6.22.5-31
nfs-kernel-server-1.1.0-8

Or you can see in yast the list of what it wants to install and copy it.

2) Install manually all of them using "rpm -i list_of_kernel_rpms".

You mean to manually download the new versions of the packages that rpm
-q -a listed? Is it OK to install a kernel when there's already one
installed? I don't know much about this stuff :(

3) Review the /boot/grub/menu.lst to check that it is correct before
rebooting.

So I need to back that up manually first. Is there anything else like that?

Thanks, Dave