Re: [opensuse] openSuse help
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:14:23 -0400
John Bennett wrote:
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, and I may be a bit slow.... but I
find it very difficult to actually find help and software for
opensuse.

That's what the mailing list is for.

You would imagine that the Wiki would be the place to go for help, but
I can't find anywhere on the Wiki an obvious link to where to start
looking. eg can search for "howto" and get a long list of results, but
nothing pointing to a page where there is a list of HowTos.
Even the search interface itself is very confusing... (Where DO I want
to look??)

The wiki is for finding specific information on specific
subjects, not general browsing, as it is not set up for that.

Particularly for new users, Getting help would not be simple......

Use the appropriate tool for the problem.
The wiki is for recording specific solutions to specific problems
or difficulties.

Also with getting software, if you are after general software you go
to "Build Software". Again, I don't think that is very self
explanatory, I would go to "Get software", 'cause "build software"
sounds like something for geeks.....

Possibly. Don't get turned off just because it says
"Build software."

But, perhaps it should be renamed as "build software collection."

Not trying to be too critical, just my thoughts....

John.