Zypper (WAS: Re: [opensuse] Google Earth problem)
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:22:07 -0700

Best way is to see for yourself- start up the Monitor and then start
zypper.

smart takes a few seconds or so to check for upgrades; zypper goes on
and on and on..... but not at 97% for all this time (the % varies up and
down).

Best way is to forget complains as current zypper and YaST in factory is
way faster than in 10.3, and developers are not done with improvements.

Well, that is not much of a recommendation- a snail is faster than zypper!

But how does it compare to smart?

If you're talking about the openSUSE updater that was horribly broken in 10.1,
then it is fine.

I run it without an issue. I don't notice any slowdown.

I run SMART on a few stations still (10.2) and they work as well.

In both instances I run cron jobs way late at night to handle the updates.

For smart I have two cron jobs smart update and smart upgrade. Then for the
zypper thingy, I have zypper -v refresh.

Seems to work.

--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.4thedadz.com || www.perfectreign.com