Re: [opensuse] X protocol - X Window System questions
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:57:31 +0000
Alexey Eremenko wrote:
On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 08 March 2008 01:04:17 Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> 2. Does X protocol allows 1 "X client" application to be rendered on
> two X servers on two terminals at once?

I don't think there is anything built into the protocol to handle that, but
in
principle it should be possible to write something like an X proxy that
sends
the displays to multiple x servers. kind of like an X multiplexer

I have heard that NoMachine's NX 3.0 (new X protocol) can handle it,
which means, that future
FreeNX server (included with openSUSE) will also be able to do it.

Can't speak for either of these. Historically, Anders is right that X
didn't do it itself but there have been several servers that acted as
proxies as he described, for use in classrooms and video conferencing
etc. Can't remember any product names right now.

Cheers, Dave