Re: [opensuse] Google Earth problem
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:14:26 +1100
Programs use CPU until they've completed the computations they must
do. It's up to the OS to aportion CPU resources to competing
processes.

The only thing that reduces a given program's CPU consumption below
100% is the invocation of I/O operations that cannot be immediately
satisfied. That, and sleeping...
So, is this why when I am watching TV and zypper kicks in I get a
stuttering/jumping image? If so, I'm heaving zypper out the window.

I know nothing of zypper in particular, but the same would be true of any CPU-intensive application whose nice and / or ionice settings were not adjusted relative to those of more sensitive applications.

And why are you running zypper while watching TV??

zypper runs by itself according to the default settings when 10.3 was installed.

Ciao.

--
A Short Fairy Tale.

One day, long, long ago, there lived a woman who,
surprisingly, did not whine, nag, or bitch...

But this was a long time ago...

And, it was only for just one day.

The End