Re: [opensuse] Google Earth problem
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 21:08:25 -0700

Programs use CPU until they've completed the computations they must
do. It's up to the OS to aportion CPU resources to competing
processes.

The only thing that reduces a given program's CPU consumption below
100% is the invocation of I/O operations that cannot be immediately
satisfied. That, and sleeping...

So, is this why when I am watching TV and zypper kicks in I get a
stuttering/jumping image? If so, I'm heaving zypper out the window.

I know nothing of zypper in particular, but the same would be true of
any CPU-intensive application whose nice and / or ionice settings were
not adjusted relative to those of more sensitive applications.

And why are you running zypper while watching TV??

Ciao.

Randall Schulz