Re: [opensuse] Setting up a mail server
  • From: Michael Smith <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 17:32:55 -0500

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 18:36 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
Hi John,

John wrote:
I am attempting to set up a mail server on a local Suse 10.3 box. I am
totally lost!!

Don't attempt to do it, just do it :) This is a LOONG, hopefully
informative reply.

Have tried to follow the info at: http://en.opensuse.org/Mail_server_HOWTO
but, being a bit thick, haven't succeeded....

If I am setting up a local server, do I need fetchmail, etc?? I may be
wrong (prob am!), but this info seems to be mostly client oriented, not
server....??

What programs are actually needed, just to set up the server,
(initially, just internally) and how do you then connect your clients to
the server??
Sorry if I'm being a bit slow.....

Hi John,

I would definitely look into using amavisd-new
(http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/), a very good virus/spam protection
framework. There are many sites that have instructions for doing
this.

http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/
http://howtoforge.com/amavisd_postfix_debian_ubuntu
http://www.freespamfilter.org/FC4.html

These are not openSUSE instructions, but can be used as a general
guideline.

Regards,
Michael Smith