Re: [opensuse] Cloning openSUSE 11.0
  • From: Neil <hok.krat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 16:42:41 +0100
On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 18:26 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
> Jimmy PIERRE wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > If somebody could point me to a document on how to clone openSUSE 10.3
> > with Yast or XML, etc.? As a matter of fact, we need to reinstall our
> > boxes/laptops after each event. Last one was Solutions Linux 2008 and
> > we are getting ready for an OpenSuse Day in April.
>
> Hello Jimmy
>
> when the machine is exactly the same hardware config, I just tar up
> everything on the origin machine and untar on the clone.

If it's really an identical copy, you might not even do an install, just
an dd is enough...

Stick the drive you'd like to write to in the pc you want to back up / copy
boot from a knoppix/ubuntu disk
open a console
dd if="/dev/the source disk" of="/dev/the target disk" bs=2048

You should not try to run the os while backing it up. It could cause a
useless result. That is why I say you should use knopix/ubuntu.

Neil

--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.