Re: [opensuse] Online Repositories have become quite unreliable
  • From: Ben Kevan <ben.kevan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 21:14:28 -0800
On Friday 07 March 2008 08:12:02 pm Joe Sloan wrote:
Ben Kevan wrote:
Well that's good to know. I am actually a newer "acting Jr Linux Admin".
My company is pretty new into the linux world and the senior admin they
hired is a RHCE so obviously he pushed RHEL. My role is a VMWare / Sr
Windows / Storage administrator and they recently realize.. I know what I
am doing when it comes to the Linux stuff, so they are leveraging me.

I hope I can start getting more SLES in (Price would be a huge drive if
it were lower) otherwise.. it'd be my word vs's the other admins. I am
comfortable with both but am much more versed in zypper (we use rhel 4
which uses up2date). We actually run most servers with TWM (depending on
the need).

Our DNS etc run on Unix server (for now) .. hope that heads our way. :o)

Things should head your way, if your company is watching the bottom
line. We've been migrating a lot of unix services off of hpux and onto
linux, and it's gone quite well. Now we're looking at moving oracle
over, hopefully the proof of concept will be convincing.

Joe

Ah yes, I am building a POC Oracle setup right now. Also getting ready to move
some functions on sun boxes onto Linux and possibly some AIX / HPUX stuff
shortly. Once more stuff comes the linux way then i'll hopefully switch roles
from a Sr Windows admin to a Jr Linux Admin (same pay scale) but better
growth.

I am actually planning on taking the CompTia Linux+ and RHCT this year and
possibly RHCE and LPIC 1 next year..

We'll see I am pretty comfortable in linux including the command line.

Oh well.. repo's still down.. my lamp server will suffer.. haha

Ben