Re: [opensuse] Advice on new hardware
  • From: Paul Ollion <pollion@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:52:40 +0100
On Friday 07 March 2008 13:46, Philipp Thomas wrote:
* David C. Rankin (drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) [20080307 08:11]:
Never had a problem with any of the above running Linux

My boards were Tyan, Gigabyte, MSI and Asus and I didn't have problems with
them.

Power Supply: Thermaltake or Corsair (550-750W)

For a noraml dual core machine and a card of the 8600 GT class 550W would
IMHO be overkill.

THE CASE: ANTEC 180P OR 182P, don't even think about anything else...

Given the price of efficient water cooling equipment, it only makes sense
if you want to overclock. Otherwise you can build quiet machines with good
cooling with conventional methods.

Philipp

Thanks all of you
Your advices were very fast and to the point.
I now have to see with my retailer what we can do.
I will keep you informed of the final config and how OpenSuSE behaved with
it. Though I am confident that there will be no urgent call for help on the
list .
This machine is not intended to do hard graphic work but mainly office jobs
and therefore I do not think it will need overcooling.

Kind regards

--
Paul Ollion
Proud Linux user SuSE 10.2