Re: [opensuse] Advice on new hardware
  • From: Alexander Winizki <awinizki@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 10:40:34 +0100

-----Original message----
Von: "Paul Ollion" <pollion@xxxxxxxxx>
Gesendet: 06.03.08 15:19:36
An: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [opensuse] Advice on new hardware

On Wednesday 05 March 2008 21:05, Oddball wrote:
Paul Ollion schreef:
On Wednesday 05 March 2008 07:41, Monkey 9 wrote:
Greg Freemyer schreef:
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 2008/03/04 14:56 (GMT+0100) Paul Ollion apparently typed:
> I am considering the purchase of a not too expensive windows free
> PC, mainly for office work and I would like to know your opinion
> about the following config proposed by the retailer to be sure
> there will be no unsolvable problems with openSuSE 10.2 or10.3
>
> Motherboard : Asus P5GC-MX/775
> Processor Intel Pentium IV-641, 3.2 Ghz /S 775 - 2 Mo
> DDR Go
> HDD 80 Go 7200 rps SATA 8 Mo

I have no experience with that product. I did install 10.3 on a
slightly older P5GD1-VM just last Friday.

My experience is: be very careful when you buy a graphic card and want to use
3D acceleration. I
have an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and get sporadical kernel hardlocks. I'm going to
start a new thread about this
issue as soon as I have accomplished some more tests that should narrow down
the cause of the problem.
So don't buy a graphic card before you find out that it is known to run stable
in a really existing system
(just an entry in some hardware DB saying that it is "supported" isn't enough,
see my case).