Re: [opensuse] Advice on new hardware
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 01:10:39 -0600
Paul Ollion wrote:
On Wednesday 05 March 2008 07:41, Monkey 9 wrote:
Greg Freemyer schreef:
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 2008/03/04 14:56 (GMT+0100) Paul Ollion apparently typed:
> I am considering the purchase of a not too expensive windows free
> PC, mainly for office work and I would like to know your opinion
> about the following config proposed by the retailer to be sure there
> will be no unsolvable problems with openSuSE 10.2 or10.3
>
> Motherboard : Asus P5GC-MX/775
> Processor Intel Pentium IV-641, 3.2 Ghz /S 775 - 2 Mo
> DDR Go
> HDD 80 Go 7200 rps SATA 8 Mo

I have no experience with that product. I did install 10.3 on a
slightly older P5GD1-VM just last Friday.

Understand that Asus motherboards have a good reputation, but that Asus
the company does not,
Agreed on the Asus the company issue.

We are putting together a PO for a replacement set of machines at
work. We suggested Asus to the integrator and they highly recommended
we go with Intel instead due to maintenance and support issues.

FYI: My post about having to tweak voltage levels of the RAM related
to a couple different Asus MBs we have here.

Greg
Indeed, Asus has very bad support, in that sense that they have a rather
strange system to report your problem, and it takes much too long before
you have the solution that fits.
Elite has good boards,
M9.

Since 2000, I have run a number of different boards with Linux. My favorite boards are (in no particular order, Abit gives greatest ability to adjust voltages, etc):

Abit,
MSI
Gigabyte
Tyan

Never had a problem with any of the above running Linux

Video: Nvidia 8600GT, 8800 if money is no object

Power Supply: Thermaltake or Corsair (550-750W)

NOW - for the BEST hardware tip/advise I can give:

THE CASE: ANTEC 180P OR 182P, don't even think about anything else...

these Antec cases are absolutely fantastic, quiet, rock solid, reasonable on price and a joy to work with and have some of the best cooling specs. around. They also come with ports in the back for liquid cooling if you really want to get serious about thermal control. Front usb, firewire and audio.

Good Luck.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC