Re: [opensuse] Trouble reformatting a HDD
  • From: Adam Jimerson <vendion@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 23:06:27 -0500
On Thursday 06 March 2008 10:50:02 pm Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> [03-06-08 22:42]:
If you want to totally eliminate the current partition setup, then
this will do it:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX count=1

reboot (to force the partition table to be re-read)

At that point Yast should work fine.

I'm sure there is a way to force the reread of the partition table
without reboot, but I don't know what the command is.

It is an external drive, iirc. Wouldn't disconnecting it from the
system and reattaching force a re-read? Maybe to a different port...

I guess so, I took some what of a more forcefull approach and turned off the
external via the power switch and turned it back on. After that YaST was
able to remove the partitions and created a new one in XFS. For some reason
when the partition table was read the first time it listed a /dev/sdb7 which
was not there the second time it read it. So I guess I got that error
because I tried to remove a partition what never existed.
< Previous Next >