Re: [opensuse] SLES, openSuSE and release cycles... what's the plan?
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 17:28:57 +0100
On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 05:15:56PM +0100, Frank Steiner wrote:
Marcus Meissner wrote

The scheduling decision when SLES 11 will happen have not been made.
Rough lines are likely discussed already, but not down to my level.

Ok, so there might be hope that it will share the code base with
11.0 :-)

In general we try to also try capture Features in the Service Packs too,

Hmm.

As for the feature things, perhaps this is something we should really
look into doing for the Service Packs too.

You definitely do a lot with the service packs, also the latest hardware
drivers etc. But I guess for major upgrades like switching from tomcat 5.0
to 5.5 a SP isn't the right place... Not talking about the kernel features
like unionfs, gcc 3 -> 4 or (and that's often very important for our
developers) a glibc upgrade. That's what breaks everything :-)

For SP2 we already update php5 to 5.2.latest for instance (but I am afraid
for other features it is likely too late already).

We do appreciate that, no question! But I still hope for a continued
2-year release cycle. And if you know some of the guys at higher levels
who make those decisions, feel free to forward them my email as a
(hopefully appreciated :-)) customer feedback.

I have forwarded it to the respective chief product manager.

The feedback was that well the timeline is likely not changeable,
but that ideas are to offer newer compilers and other stuff via
a service pack. (None of this is done for SP2 afaik).

But they are aware of it.

Ciao, Marcus