Re: [opensuse] Advice on new hardware
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 21:05:09 +0100
Paul Ollion schreef:
On Wednesday 05 March 2008 07:41, Monkey 9 wrote:
Greg Freemyer schreef:
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 2008/03/04 14:56 (GMT+0100) Paul Ollion apparently typed:
> I am considering the purchase of a not too expensive windows free
> PC, mainly for office work and I would like to know your opinion
> about the following config proposed by the retailer to be sure there
> will be no unsolvable problems with openSuSE 10.2 or10.3
>
> Motherboard : Asus P5GC-MX/775
> Processor Intel Pentium IV-641, 3.2 Ghz /S 775 - 2 Mo
> DDR Go
> HDD 80 Go 7200 rps SATA 8 Mo

I have no experience with that product. I did install 10.3 on a
slightly older P5GD1-VM just last Friday.

Understand that Asus motherboards have a good reputation, but that Asus
the company does not,
Agreed on the Asus the company issue.

We are putting together a PO for a replacement set of machines at
work. We suggested Asus to the integrator and they highly recommended
we go with Intel instead due to maintenance and support issues.

FYI: My post about having to tweak voltage levels of the RAM related
to a couple different Asus MBs we have here.

Greg
Indeed, Asus has very bad support, in that sense that they have a rather
strange system to report your problem, and it takes much too long before
you have the solution that fits.
Elite has good boards,
M9.

Thanks Felix, Greg and M9

Your three advices are unanimous to make me avoid Asus products because of their bad support.
That's what I will do and I am now examining Elite boards.

Regards.

Take your time, as you will likely use your "new' PC for some time..
and let us know what you went for.. ;)

M9.

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball (Now or never...)

Besturingssysteem: Linux 2.6.24.1-6-default x86_64
Current user: oddball@AMD64x2-sfn1
System: openSUSE 11.0 (x86_64) Alpha2
KDE: 4.0.1 (KDE 4.0.1) "release 17"