Re: [opensuse] Java and update-alternatives
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:32:07 +0100
On Monday 03 March 2008 21:40:25 elinor wrote:
I am using sles10 but am required to use a java version that is not
provided as an rpm from any suse source. I installed jdk1.5.0_14 which
I downloaded from Sun (using their installer).

And what about installing the rpm from 10.1? I suppose, thats the better
solution and 10.1 is still supported and worked with update-alternatives
support. And there's also a possibility to rebuild the package from src.rpm,
if there would be any troubles with rpm.

The problem is choosing
it as the default java. As far as I can tell, update-alternatives
requires that I use one installed from a SuSE blessed rpm. Does anyone
know of any documentation that might address this issue?

No no update-alternatives is not a suse specific tool. In fact it was ported
from Debian. For documentation you should take a look to

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-customizing.en.html part 11.10

But you should read and use a post install scripts in src.rpm for sun's Java,
because there's a lot to do.

The simple example (don't use this, there are a lot of --slaves symlinks in
this command, see the post install script):
update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java $JAVA_DIR/bin/java 1514

$JAVA_DIR contains a path to your java
1514 is necessary for automatic symlinks handling due update, the value of
this number is not important. Just use a java version (15) and update number
(14).

The just type
update-alternatives --config java

to manuall switch the JVM to local one. After that, the future updates will
newer modify your settings.

We can't use
our Novell support because we aren't using a Novell supported java.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the direction of
documentation or knows the answer to this. Thanks. Elinro