Re: [opensuse] [OT] unstable system - still trying to identify the culprit.
  • From: "Mark Van De Vyver" <mvyver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 20:37:12 +1100
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mark Van De Vyver wrote:

> I read your summary. All I can suggest is to look for 'lost ticks' in
> /var/log/messages and the boot log. There is a kernel boot parameter
> you must nominate to report these, there is also a mcelog parameter
> that might give some info. Can't recall the exact parameters off the
> top of my head, but if you haven't already tried these it might be
> worth a shot?

I did some googling for 'lost ticks', but it looks like they're reported
by default? The mcelog was only being emptied hourly, so I change that
to once every minute instead.

lucky... I had my server at hand just now. This is what I'd used
before to try and sort out a flaky server (I really doubt it is the
same problem) working though the combinations might tell you some
thing?:

report_lost_ticks (this wasn't the default when I used it on openSUSE10.2)
mce=bootlog
apic=debug (then off)
apm=off
maxcpus=1 (then 2,3,4)