Re: [opensuse] Kernel version questions
  • From: "K.R. Foley" <kr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 15:25:08 -0600
Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:53:07PM +0100, Clayton wrote:
> What is the "right" way to upgrade the kernel in an openSUSE release?
> I don't mean to update within a version - eg 2.6.18 for 10.2 - I mean
> to go up to the next version - eg 2.6.18 to 2.6.25.

Since they usually require newer udevs and whatever, its generally not
recommended for the faint of heart.
Hmmm so what do people do when they need a newer kernel (assuming they
are not knowledgeable enough to manage compiling their own kernel)?
Do they have to wait on the next openSUSE release?

For example the computer I was working on this weekend.... we
installed 10.2 specifically because of the bug 331610. The default
kernel in 10.3 will not work on this motherboard. After installing we
discovered that some peripheral hardware needs kernel 2.6.22 or
higher, and all that is available on 10.2 is 2.6.18.

You can just *try* install it and booting it. In fact this likey will work
for those small version jumps.

It will usually work, but in some cases might not set up devices correctly.

The way that I have gotten around this in the past is to add the
modules, for some devices that are not properly detected, to
MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT= in /etc/sysconfig/kernel. If the devices are
necessary to boot they should also be added to INITRD_MODULES=.

It is necessary to make these changes prior to running "make install"
for the new kernel. Your mileage may vary.

Ciao, Marcus

--
kr