Re: [opensuse] Editing Text Retrieved via HTTP GET & Saved via HTTP POST?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 13:34:13 -0800
On Saturday 01 March 2008 12:30, Benji Weber wrote:
On 01/03/2008, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 01 March 2008 12:10, Benji Weber wrote:
> On 01/03/2008, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > So, my question is: Does anyone know of an editor that can do
> > this? Apart from the URL the only parameter required to POST
> > the new data back to the server is the name of the HTTP
> > parameter name with which to associate the uploaded data. That
> > value is under my control, if it would be helpful to pick some
> > specific value instead of the one I chose.
>
> I believe any KDE app will do this, so kwrite/kate.

Really? Let me see...

I tried Kate. Reading works, not too surprisingly, but it's not
able to POST the edited contents back to the URL from which it
originally retrieved them.

Are you sure? Seems to work for other people
http://news.opensuse.org/2007/07/18/nice-trick-to-use-apiopensuseorg-
native-with-kde-apps/ for example.

OK. That page held the clue I needed.

These mechanisms (kioexec, kio_http, etc.) use PUT, not POST. So I
implemented a PUT handler in my server (in addition to the POST handler
I had) and—voila!—it works.

This is just what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Now I don't get why the Vim "netrw" doesn't handle HTTP via PUT. It
seems simple enough (simpler than many of the schemes it does support
such as ftp, scp, rcp, etc.).

By the way, I tried running Vim under "kioexec" but the problem with
that is that Vim does not get a direct connection to the TTY:

% kioexec vi http://host/path
Vim: Warning: Input is not from a terminal

After that, it's all messed up and Vim needs to be killed.

Do you know how to solve this problem?

Again, thanks for the tip.

--
Benjamin Weber