Re: [opensuse] Editing Text Retrieved via HTTP GET & Saved via HTTP POST?
  • From: Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 20:06:04 +0100
Am Samstag, 1. März 2008 19:18 schrieb Randall R Schulz:
Hi,

I have a Web service with a REST interface that allows retrieval and
update of some text held in a persistent storage system (DBMS-based).

I discovered (somehow) that Vim will, when invoked on an HTTP URL,
retrieve the bytes from that URL and load them into the editing buffer.

However, it has no way of saving them back using HTTP POST. Some digging
led me to the "netrw" Vim extension script that provides the sort of
remote file read/write I'd like except that HTTP is not supported.

So, my question is: Does anyone know of an editor that can do this?
Apart from the URL the only parameter required to POST the new data
back to the server is the name of the HTTP parameter name with which to
associate the uploaded data. That value is under my control, if it
would be helpful to pick some specific value instead of the one I
chose.

In the interim, I wrote a simple script that uses CURL to send the file
and bound it to a key combination in ~/.vimrc, but I'm wondering if
there's something a little more direct available.

While I personally need a solution that is _other_ than Emacs, I also
have a user for this Web service who _is_ an Emacs user, so I'd be
interested in solutions for Emacs, too.

Thanks.

Randall Schulz

With Emacs the solution to edit remote files is called
`tramp'. However, it uses ftp to transfer date AFAIU.

Anyway, for me it works fine.

Andreas Röhler

GNU Emacs 23.0.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.10.6)