Re: [opensuse] [OT] unstable system - still trying to identify the culprit.
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 07:55:47 -0800
On Saturday 01 March 2008 06:42, Per Jessen wrote:
You will undoubtedly remember the discussion about the stability
problems on my new workstation from a couple of weeks ago. I'll
quickly sum up -

You've posted here before??

And the machine still crashes under load - even just a little bit. I
run two copies of mprime, plus firefox and such, and after 15-20
minutes, I get the automatic reboot. I've kept an eye on the
CPU-temp (assuming the readout from lm-sensors is correct), and it's
fairly stable in the 53-55C range.

So now what? I'm running openSUSE 11.0A2 - maybe I should try 10.3
instead, just in case. Still, I can't help feeling that the
motherboard/BIOS is basically buggy, but how do I prove that?

Given all this, my next hunch is that there is some kind of concurrency
bug, either in the Linux kernel or in the processor itself. I know both
are in the realm of "grasping at straws," but it begins to seem more
likely this is a design defect, be it in the software or some portion
of the hardware (or its microcode).

There's one thermal test (at least) you could try, which is to
artifically / externally impose some extra cooling while the test runs.
I don't know if a sustained stream from a cooling spray is practical
over the duration usually required to experience the failure. Perhaps
you could run the system in a walk-in freezer with the case open and
extra fans directed at the CPU and chipset portion of the mainboard?

Perhaps if you could get Gigabyte to replicate your results they'd take
it up as an engineering issue on their end?

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

Randall Schulz