[opensuse] [OT] unstable system - still trying to identify the culprit.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 15:42:46 +0100
You will undoubtedly remember the discussion about the stability
problems on my new workstation from a couple of weeks ago. I'll
quickly sum up -

1. Gigabyte motherboard, quite new model.
2. AMD Phenom quad-core CPU. 2.2GHz
3. 4Gb memory
4. Software RAID1 on SATA disks.
5. ATI Radeon X1650.
6. 850W powersupply.

When I subject the system to stress testing (mprime), it will
automatically reboot after a fairly short time.

After having made certain it wasn't the memory and not the powersupply,
I began to suspect it was cooling/temperature related - I had one
temperature reading showing 80-86C. However, Gigabyte said that sensor
wasn't in fact connected, so there. I checked with AMD and they
confirmed the supplied heastsink and fan were entirely adequate for
running the CPU under full load. CPU-temp would hit 60-62C under full
load.
In the end I reported the board as faulty and sent it back for
repair/replacement.

I got a new one two days ago, which I've now installed etc. In the
meantime memtest86 was upgraded to support the AMD K10 CPU/chipset, so
I've done a couple of passes with that - no probs. I've also upgraded
the BIOS to the latest. I very carefully cleaned CPU and heatsink and
applied a minimal amount of new thermal paste before re-seating
everything.

And the machine still crashes under load - even just a little bit. I
run two copies of mprime, plus firefox and such, and after 15-20
minutes, I get the automatic reboot. I've kept an eye on the CPU-temp
(assuming the readout from lm-sensors is correct), and it's fairly
stable in the 53-55C range.

So now what? I'm running openSUSE 11.0A2 - maybe I should try 10.3
instead, just in case. Still, I can't help feeling that the
motherboard/BIOS is basically buggy, but how do I prove that?

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich