Re: [opensuse] Checkinstall fails before running make install (Was: install a tar file?)
  • From: Sylvester Lykkehus <zly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:54:33 +0100
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [03-15-07 05:40]:
 [...]
This should give you a lot/some files, all located in a directory of their own. Change to this dir.
Become root, perhaps by issuing a 'su'
Read the README if it's there.
Follow whatever instructions are there.

Which will probably result in a borked system.  He should utilize
'checkinstall' instead of 'make install' to maintain integrity of his
rpm based system.  ESPECIALLY since he does not know how to install a
tar ball.

As a side note, I often find checkinstall failing, before running make install.

That is on *some* packages, I have to do make install; checkinstall; make uninstall, for the RPM to be build.

I dont have a specific app in mind, so I can't post the error, just noted that this is sometimes the case.

/Sylvester