Re: [opensuse] NVidia driver and acpi on 10.2
  • From: "M. Todd Smith" <todd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:41:03 -0400
I'm not sure how you connected to the FTP address you listed in your email, but I was unable to connect to it and find an rpm.
If you are using Nvidia drivers from their site you will notice there is a readme there for SuSe users. It is best if you follow the instructions laid out there.

I would also suggest NOT following the Yast update source instructions currently for 10.2 because they will give you an unresolvable package dependency error. The best bet you have to install the latest driver is to download and run the shell script.

To do this you will have to be in mode 3 (init 3 for those of you who actually still have working X). You will then be thrown through the hoops of the shell script and when the module attempts to build a new kernel module it will fail (at least it did for me). If it didn't fail .. awesome .. if it did it may be because of a missing symlink. If you look at the installer log in /var/log/nvidia-installer.log (this may not be exact), you may see an error like

Make: /usr/src/linux/arch/suse/Makefile: file or directory not found.

Which is true. The src tree at the arch level is usually not given the name of a distro. As root descend into the src tree to the arch level and do an 'ls' and look at which architecture matches your own (for me its i386, for an AMD64 it would be x86_64). Now just make a simple symlink in /usr/src/linux/arch from whatever your architecture actually is to 'suse'

For me its

ln -s i386 suse

Now rerun the installer script and follow the post install sax2 instructions.

Hopefully that will help.

Cheers
Todd Smith
Systems Administrator