[opensuse] udev problem
  • From: "M. Todd Smith" <todd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:39:44 -0400
Hey all,

This is a problem I had a while back but am having again on a 10.2 install I am trying to get setup.

The nvidia driver setup from their site runs fine and installs.
Running openGL apps I get

NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied)

Which makes sense because my LDAP user is not part of the video group and the perms on nvidiactl look like

crw-rw---- root video

Changing these permission via root and restarting the application as the user makes things peachy .. until they reboot and the perms are reset to these defaults.

Now it is my understanding that udev creates the device nodes on startup according to the rules set forth by the various files in /etc/ udev/rules.d
In /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules, there is a line that looks like:

KERNEL=="nvidia*|nvidiactl*,                               GROUP="video"

Reading through the man for udev rules tells me that I *should* be able to add a line like this:

KERNEL=="nvidia*|nvidiactl*,                               GROUP="video", MODE="0666"

To give me the permissions I would like these device nodes created with upon bootup (again this is all under the assumption that udev is doing something). Furthermore I've gone ahead and turned on the debug mode for udev. After a reboot searching through /var/log/ messages brings up nothing regarding /dev/nvidia* and the permissions still remain 0660 instead of 0666.

The only difference I can think of is that 10.2 installs with Novell's Apparmor by default. Whether that would interact at this level I am unsure because I haven't done a lot of reading in that direction. However I am now going to attempt a fresh install without any extraneous apps. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Todd Smith

Systems Administrator
Soho VFX - Visual Effects Studio