Re: [opensuse] SATA RAID recommendations?
  • From: Russell Jones <russell.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 12:22:44 +0000
Not sure about hardware, but I just built a software RAID-1 system a few days back that boots directly from the Array. This was hand-built kernel on Debian, but I'd think it'll work under SuSE. IIRC, they include the MD driver in the kernel.

See Documentation/md.txt in the kernel source.

This is the menu.lst entry I used.

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.20
root          (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20 root=/dev/md_d0p1 ro console=tty0 md=d0,/dev/sda,/dev/sdb

Thinking on it, I'm not sure the root directive is "right". I'm not sure how one would tell grub to look at a RAID device. It may be it only works because this is RAID-1.

These confirm this:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Talk:HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID#Raid_5_and_.2Fboot
http://www.digitalmapping.sk.ca/Networks/ExpandingRAID.htm

Anders Norrbring wrote:
I'm looking at building a SATA II RAID-5 system, and I'd like to get some thoughts on controllers since there are a multitude out there..
I'm going for either 4 or 8 ports. The rig should be run by a 10.1 x86_64 system with dual opterons.

The manufacturers I'm looking at are:

Adaptec
Highpoint
3Ware
Promise

Can someone with knowledge about these tell me the pros and cons with each of them?