[opensuse] boot fails: bash cannot find libhistory.so.5
  • From: Jan Wielemaker <wielemak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 16:57:24 +0100
Hi,

Today I rebooted after installing the upgrades on my 10.1 installation which included a new
kernel. The kernel panicked while starting bash with the message that it could not find
libhistory.so.5. I was a bit surprised. This is the first such severe upgrade problem since
I run SuSE (since 5.x).

Worse, starting the rescue system didn't show anything wrong with the libhistory.so.5.
Mounted /dev/hda1 on /mnt.  I could not run any command using

    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/lib command

All crashed on a segmentation fault. Not sure this should be possible, as the
rescue system is running an older version of libc. When I copied libhistory.so.5
to a new dir and used that using the tick above, the shell runs just fine ...

Now comes the real problem. Thinking it wasn't a too bad idea to upgrade to 10.2,
I installed a fresh 10.2 from DVD (from the box). Complete install, keeping the
old partitions, but make it reformat / using reiserfs (old was also reiserfs).
Installation was totally smooth, but when rebooting the installed system, the
same cannot find libhistory.so.5 error was back!?.

Started rescue system. All looks right, and it is indeed a 10.2 root partition on
/dev/hda1.  Tested memory.  No issues.  Ran fsck /dev/hda1.  No issues.

The machine is about 4 years old, dual AMD 2600+, two IDE harddrives. Has
always been running SuSE and never failed on me.

I'm starting to panick. This surely looks like a software problem, but why on
two different SuSE releases. Couldn't find any related messages in this list
or on the net in general. If nobody has the same issue hardware might be
the problem, but disc and memory test fine!?

Any clue?

    Thanks --- Jan