Re: [opensuse] The smbfs/cifs fiasco in 10.2
  • From: Matthew Stringer <qube@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:33:23 +0000
Paul Abrahams wrote:
What is the current thinking on the smbfs/cifs fiasco in 10.2? Like many other people, when I try to use smbmount I get the message:

suillus:~ # smbmount //lactarius/ext-backup mnt
Password:
ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
smbmnt failed: 255

smbmount worked just fine in previous releases. Some research told me that I should be using cifs instead, and I got this (from a root shell):

suillus:~ # mount.cifs //lactarius/dext-backup.mnt
mount error: could not find target server. TCP name lactarius/ext-backup not found
No ip address specified and hostname not found

I had same problem smbfs not supported by kernel. Just replaced smb with cifs and it worked as before.

Not really a fiasco in my book, I mount loads of Windows drives from all over, not had a problem other than that.

Matthew