Re: [opensuse] Linux on Dell preloads
  • From: Russell Jones <russell.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:43:57 +0000
John Andersen wrote:
Nor is anybody asking them to. All they need to do is put their "secrets" on the chips and keep their
drivers free of patented or secret code.
The insistence on moving most of their copyrighted/patented property
indo binary driver blobs is what gets them in trouble.
Yet few people object (that I've heard) to copyright firmware being uploaded to devices, e.g. in Hauppage's dec-2000t. How is this different? I wonder what stops nv/ati from providing a GPL driver that just does an upload of copyright/patented firmware (freely available for download) providing the required APIs? Perhaps the issues are more complex than just that. Or perhaps there is an effort to get the OSS community to refuse superior technology on the basis of "principle" when none has been violated in any exceptional way?