Re: [opensuse] System Mail
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:03:06 +0100
Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> Peter Bloomfield wrote:
>> I set up a machine under SuSE 10.2. during the setup I created a user and
>> selected that the user receive any system mail. I now want to stop that so
>> that root receives system mail.
>>
>> Does anyone know where to look to do this?
>>
> Though that question has been answered by Rick, AFAIK, postfix will not
> deliver mail to root, as it is a security risk. You must have an alias
> to receive system mail.

Correct, the only daemon that is running with root privileges is the
master daemon. All other processes are running as the unprivileged user
postfix. And because you need root privileges to access the home directory
/root, no mail can be delivered to that home directory.

This is very unlikely to change. The only way to change that is to have an
imap/pop server running and to create a user account for root. Though I
would still just set up a mailbox like admins, it-stuff etc., route all
system mails and other administrative mails into that mailbox and grant
access for all admins to that mailbox. That way the administrative mails
are separated from the personal user accounts of the admins.

--
Sandy

List replies only please!