Re: [opensuse] Would like explanation from networking guru
  • From: Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:30:38 +0700
On Friday 16 February 2007 14:56, Art Fore wrote:
> OK, if I delete the default 192.168.11.1 UG route and no longer have a
> default gateway, I can still get to the samba server on the windows
> network (eth0), but not the internet on the wireless (eth1) from linux..
> Cannot get to the internet from linux on the windows network in any case
> though as I am not logged on from Linux, and internet access from the
> windows (eth0) is only available via a webproxy (which is in the Texas &
> I am Taiwan) available only if you are logged on to the windows domain.
> The only machine I do get access to is the local samba server from
> Linux, that part which I understand, just not how I get to it when Linux
> is on eth1 and it is on eth0 network.

Without any default gateway you can still connect to any PC in the SAME
network as your network card configured.
The function of default gateway is to inform your PC which path to take if it
needs to go "OUTSIDE" your PC network.
Proxy is providing a similar service as a gateway, that's why you can use it
to browse the internet with a prerequisite of logging to windows domain
(apparently the proxy requires authentication).

http://linux2.arinet.org
3:30pm up 6:57, 2.6.16.21-0.8-default GNU/Linux