[opensuse] Would like explanation from networking guru
  • From: Art Fore <art.fore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:56:49 +0800
I have a Dell D820 running Suse 10.2 with WinXP underparalles. I have
WinXP logged on to the corporate network and can access the network with
no problems.

I have Linux using the Wireless network, and it wroks fine, other than
the network dying now and then. I can access the internett fine.

We have a Suse Linux 10.1 server on the corporate network running smb
share, postgres database, and local http apache server. Since this is
not on the windows domain, but on the same subnet, we have to access it
using the ip address. This is no problem.

The networks are different networks, 10;18.xx.xx and 192.168.xx.xx and
not even connected via the internet as the corporate network is via a
proxy server and vpn. Both network cards show up with ifconfig and I
changed the default route from the windows network gateway to the
wireless network gateway.

What I don't understand and would like an explanation for, is that I can
also access the linux server on the windows network, (file server and
postgres and http) from linux on my laptop which is on a different
network. How does this work? I did not even think it was possible,
however I discovered it accidently when accessing the http, I thought it
from Winxp & firefox, but it was firefox in Linux.

I will say it is very convenient though, in fact, it is great.

Art