Re: [opensuse] OpenOffice 2.0.4, should one upgrade?
  • From: "Bryan S. Tyson" <bryantyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 01:45:58 -0500
On Thursday 15 February 2007 12:31 am, Jay Smith wrote:
> while on the subject, the other two things on the Novell MS pact also
> inclube interoperability, which is a big deal.

LinuxWorld: Other parts of the deal -- was there anything in there that was
actually relevant to improving interoperability between --?

Allison: No, I’m sorry. I know what you’re going to ask. I mean that part I
found amusing rather than anything else because the whole point of it was
saying that, oh, we’re going to improve interoperability. But if you look at
it closely, I think it covers some very specific federated directory things,
which essentially very few people in the world actually care about.

What people really want is a second source Active Directory replacement. Let’s
just say Novell was doing interesting work. That’s what Samba 4 is about, and
they’re always doing a lot of interesting work there. But people who think
that Microsoft will now give the information that is needed in order to do
that to Novell just because of this deal are delusional. What you have to
think about is that essentially Microsoft has been fighting tooth and nail
not to give away any of this information to free software projects. So, they
may think that just because they signed some patent cross licensing deal with
Novell -- even though Microsoft really, really wanted the patent cross
licensing deal, just because they signed that, do you think they’re going to
give away stuff that they essentially have fought absolutely and completely
against the EU and paid billions of dollars in fines to avoid. So, no, that’s
not going to happen.

Read full article here:
http://www.itworldcanada.com/a/Daily-News/c11627ed-d99b-49d2-983d-d22856181888.html

Bryan