Re: [opensuse] GRUB issues at stage 1.5
  • From: Jon Clausen <jon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:28:47 +0100
On Mon, 12 Feb, 2007 at 19:32:53 -0800, Christopher Dick wrote:

> --- Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I don't think that's going to help, Christopher, I'm
> > beginning to think
> > there's something more elusive going on here.

Just a quick "me too".

I've had more or less the exact same thing happen with my first (and until
now only) 10.2 install:

* Start install 10.2, with a minimal package selection, no X, no nothing.
* install goes according to plan, until initial reboot
* system hangs at "grub stage 2.." (two dots)
* after much mucking about, I finally installed an even more minimal 9.3 on
a separate partition, and let *that* install grub, which worked.
* adapted the 9.3 grub conf to boot 10.2

This is all from memory, and I have no time to check up on anything in the
next couple of days either :P

System is a "LexCom CV860A"

Manuals etc do exist online (I know, I saw one once) but information is
sparse at http://www.lex.com.tw

> > Questions are starting to run
> > through my mind like... "Is the BIOS capable of
> > addressing high addresses on
> > that disk?" and "Has he verified the disk is being
> > addressed using LBA and
> > not CHS?" That sort of thing...

I have two more of these running 9.3 and neither have ever had similar
problems.

I cannot exclude the BIOS from being at fault, though I do suspect something
is amiss with the 10.2 grub install process.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a USB CDrom, so the only way for me to
boot install- or rescue- systems is PXE, which takes... oh round about
forever... which is why I haven't pursued the matter much further.

Just thought I should chime in.

oh yeah: disk and controller on my box are IDE, so I don't think SATA is a
factor in this...

/Jon

--
YMMV