Re: [opensuse] Disable ability to switch between menu systems, how-to?
  • From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:22:03 -0600
On Wednesday 14 February 2007 03:46, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> - but I'd really like to be able to 100% tailor the KDE menu from the very
> beginning. Is this what you say you're able to do..
>
> Quote: "When I was designing a user client-only desktop I started from
> scratch and built the desk with *only* the features I wanted the user to
> have"
>
> - eh,  how did you start from scatch??
In my case the goal was to provide a very easy to use controlled (locked)
interface so that maintenance clerks monitoring the four primary servers
could run "only" a specified number of service apps in a controlled way. The
user can not modify anything (read, can not delete|hurt anything), can not
start a terminal--- they simply have a desk (clock, monitors, message panel,
etc) and a non configurable menu list of stuff they are authorized to do...
with options greyed out depending on user class.
This may be the disappointing part for you... I didn't use kde. Initially the
desk was built over twm. I later eventually decided to build the production
service desk over fvwm. I wanted something with a *very* small footprint in
memory and could be completely customized (literally from scratch) without
any annoying hooks, etc. When I say *from scratch* I mean that I tailored an
rc file for fvwm with my project specifically in mind from a blank text file.
Typically Linux users want just the opposite from their workstation
desktops... they want extensibility, flexibility, infinite configureability
and so on... but I specifically wanted to create a server monitor and service
desktop that was specifically designed (and locked) so that authorized
service clerks could perform routine administration functions but without
having a dangerous run of the system... if you know what I mean.
Of course there is no reason why I could not have used kde (or any other
desktop) for the same purpose with a larger footprint in memory... but the
way I figure it if what you want is a customized service van then the best
way is to proceed is to build-up from a panel van... not strip-down from a
commercial luxury van.

As to your first question... wait patiently and someone with 10.2 expertise
may answer your specific question... but you might snoop around first in
~/.kde/share Most of the kde specific control files are there.
Just out of curiosity is the reason you want the second menu option removed
to to prevent having to customize two sets of menus, or what?

--
Kind regards,

M Harris <><