Re: [opensuse] pcHDTV HD-5500 - HDTV for your Linux desktop
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:17:16 -0500
On Wed February 14 2007 9:25 am, JB scratched these words onto a coconut
shell, hoping for an answer:
> On Wednesday 14 February 2007 06:35, Clayton wrote:
> > > "The HD-5500 is a HDTV tuner card, that recieves free over the
> > > high-def broadcasts, as well as unencrypted QAM through your
> > > local cable provider. The included xine-hd program allows for the
> > > user to watch HDTV in a window. Screenshots are available to see
> > > what the card can do. This card is available only for Linux."
> > >
> > > http://lunapark6.com/?p=2992
> >
> > Nice. shame it's NTSC and ATSC only though. I was all ready to
> > buy one... and then realized... no PAL, No DVB-S, C, or T... so
> > those of us who live outside of the US, Canada, South Korea,
> > Argentina, and Mexico are out of luck with this particular card.
>
> We're out of luck here in the states too if one can't get cable out
> in the woods :-(

Depends, can you get "regular" thru the air telly from your local
stations? Newsweek had a story about folks being able to get their
local stations HD broadcasts w/ "rabbit ears" type antennae .

That has thrown a monkey wrench into the local folks plans to
charge "plenty money" for those broadcasts.. but it seems you don't
need anything else.

Wish I could remember the cite. But, it was in the dead tree version ,
last week or the one before. ( I read it at the hairdresser's )
There might be something on their website. ( Newsweek)