Re: [opensuse] Disable ability to switch between menu systems, how-to?
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:46:52 +0100
Mandag 12 februar 2007 22:23 skrev M Harris:
> On Sunday 11 February 2007 09:39, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> > I don't want my users to be able to switch away from the traditional
> > SuSE/KDE menu system (i.e., select the new system).
>
> There are many ways of locking down the desktop (although most folks on
> this list will kringe at the very thought of such a thinng... too windoze
> like) so maybe if you spelled out a little further what it is (the big
> picture) that you are trying to accomplish with your user desktop.
>
> When I was designing a user client-only desktop I started from scratch and
> built the desk with *only* the features I wanted the user to have. The user
> never gets a terminal, must run in X, KDM login (controlled), and only has
> access to the enterprise apps that they have a need to run. Is this what
> you are trying to do, or something else?
>

> --
> Kind regards,
>
> M Harris <><

Hi and thank you for your time!

- I'm simply trying to prevent users from switching between the two KDE
menusystems now offered in SuSE10.2.
- I.e., I want them to stay on the "classsic" menusystem and not be able to
select the new menu system in KDE.

- But your answer was in another aspect very interesting...
- I've used kiosktool a lot, it's not perfect, but it gets the job done. And
then I use the kmenueditor to delete lots of stuff from the standard menu, as
much as I really can. Then I copy the /home/myself/.config/menus/app...menu
to the same location of the user in question. This gives the user a reduced
menu. I then delete/rename my own copy - giving me my full menu back.

- but I'd really like to be able to 100% tailor the KDE menu from the very
beginning. Is this what you say you're able to do..

Quote: "When I was designing a user client-only desktop I started from scratch
and built the desk with *only* the features I wanted the user to have"

- eh, how did you start from scatch??