Re: [opensuse] different wierd boot-up problem (ignore previous)
  • From: Alexander Osthof <aosthof@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:04:35 +0100
> I run SuSE 10.2 together with MS Windows. The boot menu had OpenSUSE
> 10.2 as the default, then Windows and then OpenSuSE failsafe.
>
> After installing
> some files from madwifi, including three kernel files, have two new
> entries on the boot menu:

First of all, I don't think madwifi requires to install those 2 new kernels.
Who or what told you to install those kernels?

> Kernel 2.6.18.2-34-bigsmp

Some people are confused by the differences between the SMP and BIGSMP kernels
included in SUSE Linux, and which one to use for their system. A quick look
at the build configuration for both kernels shows several differences, but
the most significant involves the supported amount of RAM and number of CPUs.

The SMP kernel contains the following parameters:

CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=32

==> Thus allowing a maximum of 4G RAM and 32 processors.

The BIGSMP kernel, however, has these:

CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=128

Enabling support for 64G memory and 128 processors.

==> If a system has either more than 4G RAM or more than 32 processors, the
BIGSMP kernel must be used to fully utilize the system.

> Kernel 2.6.18.2-34-xen

A Kernel-xen is only needed if one wants to use vitualization, thus xen. In
your case, I don't think you want to use this kernel, unless you really want
to deal with virtualization.

So, both new kernels are not needed in case you only want to get your wlan run
properly.

> The last of these became the default. I changed the default back to the
> initial entry, but I wonder why the default changed and what these two
> new kernel entries are all about. I found no difference when I booted
> up with Kernel 2.6.18.2-34-xen, but when I booted with the previous
> kernel Kernel ... -bigsmp, the system simply rebooted.

It's the policy in openSUSE 10.2 to make the last installed kernel the default
kernel (entry). Thus, if the xen kernel was installed at last, it gets the
new default entry (in boot menu).

> I'd appreciate an explanation of all this.

I hope this explanation was satisfying.

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Dennis J. Tuchler
> University City, Missouri 63130

Greetings,
--
Alexander Osthof R&D SI Architecture Maintenance
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr.5 D-90409 N├╝rnberg