Re: [opensuse] Printer issues
  • From: Richard <rick47@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:38:57 -0700
> |From: Richard [mailto:rick47@xxxxxxxxxxx]
> |Subject: Re: [opensuse] Printer issues
> |
> |On Tue February 13 2007 5:51 am, Richard wrote:
> |> Epson Color Photo RX600, test prints fine, with colors, but
> |
> |output for
> |
> |> every print job has solid black for all colors and
> |
> |grayscale. What am
> |
> |> I missing? I tried looking at CUPS manager but did not see anything
> |> amiss, like a checkbox for no color. Most recent is Kontact
> |
> |calendar,
> |
> |> prints solid boxes for all date lines, title boxes, and so on.
> |> Printer driver in YAST printer setup shows RX600 with simplified
> |> Gutenprint. I am sure it is something simple, which is good, as am I.
> |>
> |> Thanks for any guidance.
> |>
> |> Richard
> |
> |Oops. Sorry, using 10.2, worked fine in 10.0.
>
> Most likely there is a diff in the ppd file you are using.
> Compare the 10.0 version you are using with the one you have set up.
>
> If you printer has a *.ppd file in its windows driver, extract it and put
> it under /etc/cups/ppd. the *.ppd's are simple text configs, you can easily
> tune whatever feature you'll like.
>
> see http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase/kdeprint/cups-and-ppd.html
>

> --
> MortenB

Thanks Morten, I will give this a look. Actually, as seems often to be the
case for me, once I click "send" I get embarrassed that I may not have looked
enough and get a little more daring about what to try. Did some clicking in
CUPS setup and not sure what helped but print was okay for Kontact...have not
tried anything else yet that was messing up before...maybe it was changing
color scheme from RGB to CMY, and clicking on 6-color for cartridges. Your
solution seems a better idea that may also give more control and awareness of
how to control what is happening.

Richard