[opensuse] New kernels
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:10:40 -0500
Question!

I'm a bit confused on the new kernels and hard drives, optical devices.
According to what I'm reading, any kernel 2.6.19 or above is now using
the new libata module for drives. What this does basically is change
all devices that were labeled as hdxx to sdxx designation. Is that
correct so far?

Now if you have SATA drives, they are already sdxx designated, so no
changes are necessary in Grub or Lilo or /etc/fstab. But, if you have
anything labeled with hdxx, those must be changed to sdxx to be
recognized? Also, if that is correct, what happens to programs like
k3b in seeing the drives?

So let's say I have a dual SATA, not counting the Raid, and those will
be sda & sdb, right?

Now I have two optical devices, cdwriter, dvdwriter as hdc & hdd
presently, so those become sde & sdf now?

sata=sda
sata=sdb
hda=sdc
hdb=sdd
hdc=sde
hdd=sdf

Is my logic right or do optical devices not count in the whole scheme of
things??

thanks,
Lee