[opensuse] Transfers from some websites stall -- but only under OpenSUSE 10.2?
  • From: David Brodbeck <gull@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:13:45 -0800
I'm running OpenSUSE 10.2, and I'm having an odd problem where I can
access some web sites fine, but transfers from others stall. The
problem happens on an intermittent basis with various sites, but it's
most consistent with http://www.cyberspace.org/. Experimentation shows
that I can use SSH or telnet to that site but transfering a file of any
size stalls.

Testing shows that the site loads fine from Windows 2000 on the problem
machine, and from SUSE 10.1 on another machine on the same LAN. The
problem happens both on my LAN at home *and* on the one at work, ruling
out a routing issue.

It sounded like a classic MTU problem to me, but experimenting with the
MTU didn't really help. Also, I can send large pings to cyberspace.org
and they come back, suggesting packet size is not the issue.

System details: IBM Thinkpad T22, OpenSUSE 10.2, kernel
2.6.18.2-34-default. The on-board ethernet on the Thinkpad died a while
back with a corrupt EEPROM, so I'm using a NetGear FA411 card.