Re: [opensuse] 10.2 is turning into a nightmare
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:02:02 -0800
On Tuesday 13 February 2007 01:12, riccardo35@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue 13 Feb 2007 02:50, Bryan Tyson wrote:
> > In my opinion, if the package system is
> > unusable, the distro is unusable.
>
> ___________
>
> - Did one try SMART - is it possible that 'smart' can be the perfect
> solution?

I would not go so far as to say SMART is "perfect" by any means. It is a
software application like any other with features and some bugs. Okay, my C++
hello world app probably doensn't have bugs, but that's a different story.

Like all software applications it has its good and its bad. This is an
application called....um...nevermind.

I use it on my machines and am satisfied. It is far faster than YOU/YAST/ZEN
and seems to do what I need.

While doing work this morning, I realized my desktop needed to update some
apps so I took some screenshots. Like YOU and Zen, it has a system tray
telling you when you need to update stuff...

http://donutmonster.com/stuff/2007/20070213_smart.jpg

...it then allows you to bring up a GUI or command line interface to do those
updates...

http://donutmonster.com/stuff/2007/20070213_smart2.jpg

...like YAST, you can tell it not to update certian things. On my laptop,
where I do development in Java, I've got it locked at 1.5.0_06.

Once in process, It will pull down in a multi-threaded fashion the sources you
need including Guru and Packman...

http://donutmonster.com/stuff/2007/20070213_smart3.jpg

...that picture has me downloading from both SUSE and Guru.

Most importantly, it opens to Amusements/Games.

Is it perfect? Hardly. There are issues, like when you try to open up two
instances and the command line version seems to have occasional hiccups.
However, I have resorted to using it on my 10.1 systems and don't feel the
need to change ATM.

--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos