Re: [opensuse] 10.2 is turning into a nightmare
  • From: Bryan Tyson <bryantyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:50:07 -0500
On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 21:18 -0800, Ben Kevan wrote:

> IMO SuSE is a great distro and is only getting more mature with Novell's
> growing experience in the Open Source market.
> I myself run SLED 10 and OpenSuSE 10.2 (and previously 9.2, 9.3, 10.0 and even
> the crippled 10.1).
> So what were your reasons

I have only one reason: the excruciatingly slow package management
system. Overall, OpenSuse is very nice. However, it does not matter how
nice it is if one must wait half an hour or an hour every time one does
anything with packages. In my opinion, if the package system is
unusable, the distro is unusable.

Strange, I used Suse from 6.0-9.2 and the package system was great for
all those years. Why did the developers decide it had to be changed? Do
they not realize how much worse it is than it used to be, and worse than
practically every other distro?

Bryan

--