[opensuse] Re: 10.2 is turning into a nightmare - ps
  • From: Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:36:41 +0100
Bruce Marshall wrote:
On Sunday 11 February 2007 19:21, Charles R. Buchanan wrote:
Linux is: Freedom, of choice, from gates & windows, from
illegal monopolies.
So would that mean that users of Windows/Macs, etc... are "free" to
choose what they want to run as well? Or are they mind numbed robots?

Sure they can pick what they want.

1) Pull out wallet
2) Pay the price
3) Put up with the problems
4) Reboot, reboot, reboot ad nauseum

Hi,

in all fairness, this does not hold truth anymore.

And I _really_ like Linux very much:

1) You need to pay for windows, but otherwise, most things that you want from windows can be done with free (as in pay) tools. So you can leave your wallet, where it is.

Ex. I run Windows successfully n one of my machines and did not pay a dime, except for the basic OS and the virus scanner and at the same time I did not pirate any software. Admittedly, any time I do a presentation with this laptop, customers are wondering that they need to pay for to achieve the things I have freely on my machine.

2) If you are working with OSS on windows, you just need to pay for the OS (and possibly the virusscanner, if clamwin i.e. clamAV for windows is not what you want).

3) Well, this is applicable for Linux, as well, I guess. ;-)

4) this stoneold "reboot" legend seemingly never goes away. However it is mostly cited by people who did not use windows since w9x/NT4 times. Ex. I never had a single crash on windows since w2k and I cannot recall the last reboot I had to do because of an installtion.

At the same time this means that the "reality outside of Linux" is not as hostile as it used to be. Maybe this is the reason why 95% of all PCs continue to be driven by redmond systems.

regards
Eberhard