Re: [opensuse] 10.2 is turning into a nightmare
  • From: kanenas <kanenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:55:19 -1000
On Sunday 11 February 2007 08:10, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Sunday 11 February 2007 19:08, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> > On 02/11/2007 Anders Johansson wrote:
> > > But above all, *why* are you updating the kernel. It's something you
> > > should
> > > only do when it's absolutely necessary (I know there are people on
> > > this list
> > > who would tell you otherwise - please don't listen to them. They are
> > > experienced enough to fix things when they go wrong, and when you
> > > play with
> > > kernels, things often go wrong)
> >
> > IMHO, it was necessary. It cured some issues I was having. Some that had
> > no other solution.
> >
> > I believe there were some others on the list that were having problems
> > that the newer kernel also solved. That is where I got the repo address
> > from, the list, in a post to someone else. After reading the messages I
> > decided to try it myself. AND it worked.
>
> OK, fair enough.
>
> Nevertheless, don't do it by adding factory as a source. Just download the
> kernel rpm individually, and install it manually
I only have STANDARD INSTALL plus kernel source for x86-64 installed, my
installation sources areopenuse.org (oss and non oss) and packman from
bremen. The updater added suse.mirrors.tds.net.
yet my 10.2 is quickly becoming... windoze95/98....
firefox *always* comes up with "firefox crashed, shall i start fresh or
restart?", without regard to what seemed like a proper closing before. Kmail
wonders around doing something according to the "working..." box on the lower
right corner, even console windows freeze up, the df command seems to often
hang, it can never find / (hda1), it only lists udev and hda3 (home), various
konq windows seem to freeze, last night yast failed to complete installation
of tuxkart after the dependencies were fully resoved, ( the only game i
decided to install), open office windows crash once in a while, things seem
to progressively get worse as a session goes on, AND..., all gets well for a
while if i ...reboot!!!!!
Upon restart i sometimes get the note that the fs has not been checked for a
few thousand days (!!!!) so it is rechecked, both the root and home
partition, no errors found, all goes ok for about half a day....
It is only too simple to prove that I have no hardware issues, when i boot up
on my10.0 or 10.1 partitions, all goes well. It seems that there have been
many issues with 10.2 that have not come up, but, as things seem to go the
wrong way, more and more complaints are voiced. Yes, it is absolutely true
that one should not complain about a free system, but we have been spoiled.
We used to have a system that had some specific limitations, but it was
stable. now we have more features, but in the process we are losing "the
war". I don't know what the real purpose of the ms-novel deal is, but, IF i
were a conspiracy theorist, i would say that the deep goal would be to
undermine the stability of one of the most stable linux platforms. It would
not take much to achive that, actually all it would take would be two, three
or four releases with a few critical but subtle changes, more features but...
flawed apps where things used to be rock solid, a couple of "security driven"
changes like smbfs, reboot requirements, small stuff that will really drive
newbies by the droves back to windoze...Yes, the gurus will be able to
eventually extract some stability, but the actual cost will be that the
slightest chance that linux might detract from vista dies a slow or, better
yt, a quick death.

However:
it's a good thing i am not a conspiracist, isn't it?

Coders, please go back to basics. Please stop making rube goldbergs out
of "standard" libraries and scripts and give us some fresh code without
hundreds of dependencies for even the smallest task.
simple always works. but simple is not what the average package is any more..