Re: [opensuse] 10.2 is turning into a nightmare - ps
  • From: "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:13:53 -0600
On 2/11/07, Tom Horsley <tomhorsley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For my amusing experiences over on Fedora setting up video, see:

http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/easy-linux.html

amusing, indeed.

Well written and perfectly descriptive of the kinds of things I have
gone through, with the exception being that I am much less
experienced and am not a coder, so that "access to the source code"
would serve me no use, what so ever.

I do still think, that much of the answer to this part of the problem
is "hardware packaging".

Short of actually pre-installing the OS, If SUSE could for example,
make arrangements with HP to provide a "proven to work" set of drivers
for several series of desktops and laptops ... and then allow the
installation program to be pointed at "resources for this hardware"
.... then issues like this would be greatly diminished.